11.21.2013

The Un-Book Club...

I have tried to form a book club a couple of times, but each time the members couldn't seem to pick a book, or agree on a time to meet.  Recently a friend invited me to go to the library's 'Un-book Club', which was scheduled to meet at a local pub for this month's meeting.  I wasn't sure what to expect, but I was not surprised that my friend and I were the youngest ones there.  About ten people showed up, and it was a relaxing and quiet atmosphere in the back lounge of the restaurant  The theme for this month was cooking, so it was interesting to see everyone's take on the topic.  Recipe books were brought in for review, fiction books that included recipes were distributed, and critiques on un-related books were also given.  My friend and I were in awe of all these older people with such a passion for reading, and how one woman even had a Book Lover's Diary. We also did some clandestine matchmaking with the token male and one of the ladies.  It really is the perfect place to meet someone!

I've always wanted to be a part of a book club that talked about one specific book, so I'm not sure if this club is the right fit for me.  However, it was great to get some book recommendations and, need I mention, to get out of the house sans bebe.  The next meeting is in January, so I will give it another go.

One of the books I would like to check out next is And The Mountains Echoed, by Khaled Hosseini.  I've read the other two by him, and found them very thought-provoking and intense.  Does anyone have anymore book recommendations?

Love,
Ashleigh

No comments: